This rich, dark, decadent chocolate sauce is adapted from one we found in Maida Heatter’s Book of Great Desserts (Random House, 1991).
This rich, dark, decadent chocolate sauce is adapted from one we found in Maida Heatter's Book of Great Desserts.
Yield: makes 2 cups
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 tbsp. butter
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- Heat half-and-half and sugar together in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add chocolates and butter and whisk until smooth. Set aside to let cool briefly.
- Stir in egg yolks and cook over low heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Set aside to let cool slightly. Serve over or ice cream, if you like.