Nobody knows for sure who Louie was, or where this dish was invented—but we think the version made at the Swan Oyster Depot in San Francisco is as good as it gets.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 tbsp. chopped black olives
- 1 small white onion, peeled and minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- Meat from 2 cooked 2-lb. dungeness crabs (or 4 cups cooked lump dungeness crabmeat)
- Mix together mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle relish, olives, and onions in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate dressing until ready to use.
- Core, wash, and dry lettuce, then slice into shreds. Place in a bowl and toss with 1 cup dressing. Divide lettuce between 4 plates, place 1 cup crabmeat over lettuce on each plate, and spoon a bit of remaining dressing over crabmeat. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve with lemon wedges and Tabasco sauce if desired.