Grape-Filled Strudel with White Wine Sauce (Szōlōs Rétes Bor Szószban)
The word Strudel means whirlpool in German. This dessert's name refers to its flaky layers, which wrap around its soft, sweet filling.
Yield: serves 8
For the Strudel
- 6 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup coarse semolina
- 3 (12" × 17") sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 6 tbsp. dried bread crumbs
- 2 cups seedless black grapes (about 10 oz.)
- 2 egg whites, beaten to soft peaks
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla sugar
- 3⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. honey, preferably acacia
- 1 Tbsp. sour cream
For the Wine Sauce
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup white wine, preferably riesling
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Sugar
- For the strudel: Heat 2 tbsp. butter in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add semolina and cook, stirring often, until light golden brown, 3–4 minutes. Stir in 1 1⁄2 cups water, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, covered, until soft and porridgelike, 5–6 minutes. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a large baking sheet with 1 tbsp. butter; set aside. Lay 1 sheet of phyllo on a kitchen towel; brush evenly with 1 tbsp. butter; sprinkle with 2 tbsp. bread crumbs; top with a sheet of phyllo. Brush with 1 tbsp. butter; sprinkle with 2 tbsp. bread crumbs. Repeat one more time. Strew grapes over phyllo; drop semolina in dollops over top, followed by egg whites. Spread out with a rubber spatula, then sprinkle with sugars and cinnamon; drizzle with honey. Using towel to help you, roll strudel like a burrito to form a 12"-long cylinder. Transfer to prepared baking sheet; brush with sour cream. Bake until light golden brown, about 40 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- For the sauce: Whisk together sugar, flour, and yolks in a heatproof bowl until pale yellow. Whisk in milk, wine, zest, and sugar. Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce resembles thin pudding, about 20 minutes. Strain sauce through a fine-mesh sieve; let cool over an ice bath. Cut strudel crosswise into 8 slices and serve with sauce.