In this preparation, fig leaves perfume and protect the flesh of the fish. Serve with lemon-olive oil sauce.
Grilled Sea Bass Wrapped in Fig Leaves (Lavraki Stin Schara)
In this preparation, fig leaves perfume and protect the flesh of the fish. Serve with lemon–olive oil sauce.
Yield: serves 4
- 4 (12–16-oz.) whole branzino or black sea bass, cleaned
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 4-8 large fig leaves
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for oiling
- Lemon and olive oil sauce
- Build a medium fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium. Season fish inside and out with salt. Wrap each fish with a fig leaf or two so that leaf or leaves fully wrap around fish, leaving head and tail exposed. Brush each fish with 1 tbsp. oil.
- Transfer fish to a well-oiled grill and cook, turning once with a metal spatula, until fish are cooked through and fig leaves are charred and crispy, 10–15 minutes. Transfer fish to a platter and spoon sauce over top.