Grilled Sea Bass Wrapped in Fig Leaves (Lavraki Stin Schara)
In this preparation, fig leaves perfume and protect the flesh of the fish. Serve with lemon–olive oil sauce.
Yield: serves 4
- 4 (12–16-oz.) whole branzino or black sea bass, cleaned
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 4-8 large fig leaves
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for oiling
- Lemon and olive oil sauce
- Build a medium fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium. Season fish inside and out with salt. Wrap each fish with a fig leaf or two so that leaf or leaves fully wrap around fish, leaving head and tail exposed. Brush each fish with 1 tbsp. oil.
- Transfer fish to a well-oiled grill and cook, turning once with a metal spatula, until fish are cooked through and fig leaves are charred and crispy, 10–15 minutes. Transfer fish to a platter and spoon sauce over top.