A compound, or flavored, butter is one of the best and easiest ways to finish a steak.
Yield: serves 4
- 4 tbsp. softened butter
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. finely chopped fresh chives
- 3⁄4 tsp. finely chopped fresh chervil
- 3⁄4 tsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place butter in a medium bowl. Cream with a fork and add tarragon, chives, chervil, and parsley. Mix thoroughly and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mound butter on a piece of plastic wrap, roll to form a cylinder, twist ends of wrap, and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour. Slice in rounds to serve.