Iceberg Wedge with Blue Cheese
This hearty wedge salad, which contains the classic elements of a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, is a version of one served at Old Homestead Steakhouse in New York City.
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 4 oz. blue cheese, such as Maytag
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire
- 1⁄4 tsp. hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cored and halved lengthwise
- 4 strips cooked bacon, torn
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 basil leaves, torn
- 4 oz. crumbled blue cheese, such as Maytag
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Flatbread or toasted pita, for serving
- Make the dressing: In the bowl of a food processor, combine blue cheese, cream, mayonnaise, milk, oil, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and shallot, and process until smooth and creamy, about 15 seconds. Season dressing with salt and pepper and transfer to a small bowl; set aside.
- Arrange lettuce cut side up on two plates. Spoon dressing over each wedge and garnish salad with bacon, tomatoes, basil, and blue cheese. Season with black pepper and serve with the flatbread, if you like.