Lena's Vegetarian Borscht
This soup is an adaptation of a recipe from Markus Wolf's book on Russian cooking.
Yield: serves 8-10
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 large beets, peeled and coarsely grated
- 4 cups shredded white cabbage
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. white-wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- Heat oil in a large pot over low heat. Add onions, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Add carrots, beets, and cabbage, cover, and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan. Add 8 cups water, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, sugar, and vinegar to vegetables and cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Add potatoes and cooking water; simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in 2 tbsp. each dill, parsley, and chives, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve, either hot or chilled, in bowls, topped with sour cream, garlic, and remaining herbs.