Part hamburger, part sloppy joe (minus the sauce) this simple sandwich was created in Sioux City in 1924.
Yield: makes 8 Sandwiches
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups Chicken Stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 soft hamburger buns
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground beef, and cook, breaking up meat with the back of a spoon, until meat begins to fry, 12–15 minutes. Drain meat in a colander, then return it to the skillet over medium-high heat.
- chicken stock, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until liquid is absorbed and meat is well browned, 15–20 minutes.
- Divide meat between hamburger bun bottoms, spoon some onion on each, and put other bun half on top.