Malpura (Ricotta Pancakes in Cardamom Syrup)
These creamy pancakes soaked in cardamom syrup and sprinkled with pistachios make an ethereal dessert.
Yield: makes ABOUT 13 PANCAKES
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. saffron
- 3 whole green cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, drained in a sieve overnight
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup ghee or clarified butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pistachios
- Simmer sugar, saffron, cardamom, and 1 cup water in a 1-qt. saucepan over medium heat for 12 minutes. Mix ricotta, flour, and 3⁄4 cup water in a bowl to make a batter. Heat ghee in a 12" nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, spoon 2-tbsp. portions of batter into skillet, and fry until golden, 2-3 minutes. Arrange pancakes in a shallow dish with sides; pour cardamom syrup over top, sprinkle with pistachios, and let soak for 5 minutes before serving.