Mexican Wedding Cookies
In Juarez, Mexico, weddings often involve elaborate sit-down dinners, and preparations for these meals can get frantic. These traditional wedding cookies keep well, though, and can be prepared, calmly, days in advance.
- 1⁄4 lb. butter
- 2 tbsp. confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely ground walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cream butter until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Beat for 1–2 minutes. Gradually beat in flour. Stir in nuts.
- Shape dough into 1″ balls, using about 1 tbsp. of dough for each. Place 1″ apart on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes, turning sheet so that cookies bake lightly and evenly. Transfer to a rack, allow to cool, and roll in confectioners’ sugar.