This quick breakfast dish is made a la Mexicana with red tomatoes, white onions, and green jalapeños, ingredients that mirror the colors of the Mexican flag.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 3 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 plum tomato, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. thinly sliced cilantro leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, jalapeño, and tomato, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add cilantro and eggs, and cook, folding eggs over in large curds occasionally, until cooked through, about 4 minutes.