Mixed Greens with Spicy Ponzu Dressing
A word of warning to the impatient: The dressing for this salad takes two weeks to make, but it's well worth the wait.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 1 cup bottled ponzu sauce
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 (5") piece konbu (dried sea kelp)
- 1 Tbsp. katsuobushi (dried, smoked bonito flakes)
- Juice from 1⁄2 orange
- 1 tsp. Asian chile oil
- 1 tsp. sriracha chile sauce
- 12 oz. small leaves from mixed greens, such as radicchio and bibb, lola rosa, oak leaf, or romaine lettuce, washed and thoroughly dried
- Combine ponzu sauce, soy sauce, rice wine, vinegar, sea kelp, bonito flakes, and orange juice in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator to let mature for 2 weeks.
- Strain ponzu mixture through a fine sieve into a clean 24-oz. glass jar with a tight-fitting lid and discard solids. (Dressing will keep, tightly sealed, for up to 3 months in the refrigerator.)
- Put chile oil, chile sauce, and 1⁄3 cup of the ponzu dressing into a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Add greens and toss until well coated.