In Morocco, a Marrakesh housewife surprised us with this cumin-infused roasted fish.
- 3 Tbsp. cumin seeds, toasted
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tsp. salt
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 2 3-lb. whole red snapper, cleaned and scaled
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 12 new potatoes, sliced
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 5 whole mild green chiles (such as anaheims)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Grind together cumin, garlic, parsley, and salt with a mortar and pestle. Transfer to a small bowl and mix in the lemon juice.
Place the snapper in a large, shallow baking pan and rub spice mixture all over fish. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 500°. Remove fish from refrigerator and scatter carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, pepper, lemon slices, and chiles around fish. Pour water and olive oil over fish and vegetables. Bake, basting often, until fish is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
Continue to Next Story