This rich Malay coconut rice is a breakfast favorite in Malaysia. To learn how to tie a lemongrass knot, see our video. This recipe first appeared in our October 2011 issue along with Jayanthi Daniel's article Hungry City.
- 2 cups jasmine rice, washed 3 times and drained
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 fresh or frozen makrut lime leaves
- 1 (6″) piece lemongrass, bruised with a mallet until pliable and tied into a knot
- 1 (1″) piece ginger, peeled and bruised until flattened