There are many versions of skordalia, a thick, garlicky Greek sauce; this one makes an excellent accompaniment to grilled lamb.
- 1 russet potato, peeled, and cut into 1″ pieces
- 8-10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup ground blanched almonds
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Put potatoes into a 2-qt. pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes; drain and transfer to a large bowl. Mash potatoes until smooth.
- Smash garlic cloves, sprinkle them with 1⁄2 tsp. of the salt, and make a paste by finely chopping garlic and repeatedly scraping it against work surface.
- Add garlic paste to potatoes and vigorously whisk in olive oil, almonds, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately or refrigerate overnight.