There are many versions of skordalia, a thick, garlicky Greek sauce; this one makes an excellent accompaniment to grilled lamb.
- 1 russet potato, peeled, and cut into 1" pieces
- 8-10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup ground blanched almonds
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
Put potatoes into a 2-qt. pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes; drain and transfer to a large bowl. Mash potatoes until smooth.
Smash garlic cloves, sprinkle them with 1⁄2 tsp. of the salt, and make a paste by finely chopping garlic and repeatedly scraping it against work surface.
Add garlic paste to potatoes and vigorously whisk in olive oil, almonds, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately or refrigerate overnight.