Radicchio di Treviso Marinato
We got this simple dish from a California radicchio grower.
Yield: serves 4
- 6 heads treviso radicchio
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Finely grated hard-cooked egg
- Remove and discard any imperfect outer leaves from radicchio. Quarter heads lengthwise and set aside.
- Combine vinegar, 3 cups water, peppercorns, salt, and bay leaf in a large pot and bring to a boil. Blanch radicchio wedges, a few at a time, for 1–2 minutes. Blot dry with a towel, squeezing gently to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Arrange wedges in layers in a glass or ceramic dish. Cover with olive oil, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. Bring radicchio to room temperature, season with salt and pepper, and slice (radicchio may also be served unsliced). Serve garnished with finely grated hard-cooked egg. This dish will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.