Arròs amb Ànec i Naps (Rice with Duck and Turnips)
We discovered this traditional rice dish while researching paella in Valencia.
Yield: serves 8
- 1 (9-lb.) muscovy duck, cut into 8 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. turnips, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup dried white beans, soaked overnight
- 1 large pinch saffron threads
- 4 cups simmering chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. sweet paprika
- 3 cups paella or risotto rice (arborio)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Trim fat from duck and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Brown duck on all sides for about 15 minutes. Add turnips and brown on all sides for 5 minutes. Transfer duck and turnips to a large cazuela. Stir in tomatoes, garlic, and beans.
- Toast saffron in a small skillet over medium heat for 1 minute; crumble into stock, add paprika, then pour into cazuela. Add 4 cups water, then cook in the oven until duck is tender, about 1 hour.
- Stir in rice, cover, and bake until rice is tender, 25–30 minutes. Cool for about 15 minutes, season with salt, and serve from cazuela.