Chef Reed Hearon serves this spicy dish at Rose Pistola's, his San Francisco eatery.
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds, toasted and crushed
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, trimmed
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (2-lb.) dungeness crabs, cooked
- 1 lemon, quartered
Combine fennel seeds, parsley, thyme, garlic, red pepper flakes, and oil in a food processor. Pulse until puréed.
Pull top shell off crabs and remove gray gills. Scoop out and discard any soft fat. Crack legs with a nutcracker and split crabs in half down middle. Place in a shallow baking dish, pour marinade over crabs, cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 400°. Roast crabs, uncovered, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Cut crabs into sections between the legs and garnish with lemon quarters.