Sweet and savory, crunchy and creamy come together in these little toasts, which pair cubes of sweet potato with a tangy spread featuring lemon zest, capers and sour cream.
- 3 heads garlic
- 1 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tbsp. roughly chopped capers, plus more for topping
- 1⁄4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 loaf ciabatta, sliced diagonally 1/2″ thick
- Heat oven to 400°. Cut 1⁄4” from the top of each garlic head, exposing the cloves. Drizzle each with olive oil and wrap tightly in foil. Place in a baking dish and bake until heads are soft and lightly browned, 30-40 minutes; let cool slightly. Squeeze cloves from skins into a bowl; set aside.
- Combine sour cream, zest, capers, pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Heat olive oil in a 10″ skillet over medium heat. Add sweet potatoes, salt, and pepper; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined sheet; set aside.
- Brush bread slices with olive oil, and place on a baking sheet. Bake, turning once, until crisp and golden, about 8 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly. Spread about 1 tsp. of the roasted garlic on each crostini. Divide sour cream mixture between crostini. Top with sweet potatoes, and garnish with chopped capers.