In his cookbook Salted, Mark Bitterman writes of these roasted peaches: "Your first bite will expand the boundaries of sensation separating your mouth from the rest of your body, and you'll be feeling spiciness in the warmth of your hands and smokiness in the tingling of your toes. And by the third bite your mind will have moved on to peel the black backing off the edge of the universe, filling the unending space beyond with your pounding heart."
This recipe is adapted from Salted by Mark Bitterman. Copyright (C) 2009 by Mark Bitterman. Excerpted by permission of Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.
- 4 large, barely ripe peaches
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into 3 pieces
- 1⁄4 cup bourbon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Greek yogurt, crème fraîche, or caramel ice cream, for serving (optional)
- 4 two-finger pinches Maine apple-smoked salt