Sausage-Camembert Spoon Pudding
Italian sausage and creamy Camembert cheese transform simple cornmeal spoon pudding into a rich side dish in this recipe from Ludivine restaurant in Oklahoma City. This recipe first appeared in our August/September 2013 Heartland issue with the story Oklahoma Rising.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for greasing
- 8 oz. raw spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 6 oz. Camembert or Brie cheese with the rind, cut into ¼” pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Crème fraîche, for garnish
- Aleppo pepper, for garnish
- Finely chopped parsley, for garnish
- Heat oil in a 10″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook, stirring and breaking up meat into large pieces, until browned, 5–7 minutes; set aside. Using a hand mixer, beat egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form, 2–3 minutes; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease eight 4-oz. ramekins with olive oil. Boil stock and cream in a 4-qt. saucepan. Whisk in cornmeal; cook until slightly thick, 1–2 minutes. Stir in sausage, salt, and pepper; fold in egg whites and cheese. Spoon into ramekins; bake until set, 30–35 minutes. Garnish with Crème fraîche; sprinkle with Aleppo pepper and parsley.