A cross between a chowder and a bisque, this rich soup includes the crab roe, or eggs, found in female or “sook” crabs in the late spring and early summer.
- 10 boiled she-crabs
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 ribs of celery, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- Pinch mace
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups hot milk
- 1 cup cream
- Worcestershire sauce
- Pick the meat and roe from she-crabs. Set aside in separate bowls.
- Cook scallions and celery in butter for 10 minutes. Add flour, mace, and salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add crabmeat, milk, cream, and a splash of worcestershire sauce; cook over very low heat for 45 minutes. Taste and correct seasonings.
- Crumble the roe in the bottom of each bowl, then ladle in the hot soup. Garnish with a spoonful of sherry.