This lamb kebab is adapted from a recipe in Annisa Helou's Mediterranean Street Food (William Morrow, 2002).
Yield: makes 20 Skewers
- 1 3⁄4 lb. lamb shoulder, cut into 1″ cubes
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp. paprika
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. ground sumac
- 24 cherry or grape tomatoes
- In a bowl, combine lamb, oil, tomato, thyme, paprika, cayenne, allspice, cinnamon, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper; chill 4 hours. Toss onion, sumac, and more salt in a bowl; let sit 30 minutes.
- Build a hot charcoal fire in a grill. Thread 4 cubes lamb each onto 14 skewers, and thread 4 tomatoes each on remaining 6 skewers; grill, turning, until charred, about 5 minutes. Serve with onions.