Singapore street hawkers grill shrimp in the shell to seal in flavor. Tangy grilled, marinated lamb is often served alongside with sliced cucumber and onions. Lamb must be prepared the day before.
- 1 lb. leg of lamb
- 1 tbsp. tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp. ground coriander
- 1⁄2 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 stalks lemongrass, chopped
- 1 lb. large whole shrimp
- 30 wooden skewers
- Vegetable oil
- Cucumber and onion slices
- <a href="https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Satay-Sauce">Satay Sauce</a>
- Cut lamb into 3″ × 1½” strips and place in a bowl. Mix tamarind paste with ½ cup water in a small bowl; strain into the bowl of a food processor. Add ginger, coriander, fennel seeds, cumin, turmeric, sugar, and salt, and purée.
- Add lemongrass and rub marinade into lamb. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat grill to medium and soak 30 wood skewers in water for a few minutes. Remove meat, scrape off marinade, and secure each piece on a skewer.
- Slice through shells of shrimp along backs with a serrated knife, leaving heads and shells on. Devein under running water; skewer lengthwise.
- Brush shrimp and lamb with vegetable oil. Grill until shrimp turn bright red and lamb is crisp. Garnish with cucumber and onion slices; serve with sauce.