Shrimp and Lamb Satays
The pairing of delicate shrimp with hearty lamb, steeped in an aromatic marinade, makes for a truly savory satay.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 lb. leg of lamb
- 1 tbsp. tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp. ground coriander
- 1⁄2 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 stalks lemongrass, chopped
- 1 lb. large whole shrimp
- 30 wooden skewers
- Vegetable oil
- Cucumber and onion slices
- <a href="http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Satay-Sauce">Satay Sauce</a>
- Cut lamb into 3" × 1½" strips and place in a bowl. Mix tamarind paste with ½ cup water in a small bowl; strain into the bowl of a food processor. Add ginger, coriander, fennel seeds, cumin, turmeric, sugar, and salt, and purée.
- Add lemongrass and rub marinade into lamb. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat grill to medium and soak 30 wood skewers in water for a few minutes. Remove meat, scrape off marinade, and secure each piece on a skewer.
- Slice through shells of shrimp along backs with a serrated knife, leaving heads and shells on. Devein under running water; skewer lengthwise.
- Brush shrimp and lamb with vegetable oil. Grill until shrimp turn bright red and lamb is crisp. Garnish with cucumber and onion slices; serve with sauce.