Spicy Fried Peanuts
This is a mezcal-friendly snack.
Yield: serves 8
- 1 dried chile de onza
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1⁄2 lb. skinned raw peanuts
- 8 small garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tbsp. dried whole chiles de pequín
- Toast chile de onza in a nonstick skillet over low heat. Remove and discard stem, then grind chile with salt in a mortar and pestle. Add lemon juice to chile mixture, mix well, and set aside.
- Toast peanuts and garlic cloves in a skillet over low heat for about 5 minutes (shake pan to keep ingredients from burning). Add dried whole chiles de pequín and toast for 1 minute more. Transfer to a dish and drizzle chile-lemon mixture over peanuts.