State Fair Chili
This hearty chili is a Minnesota State Fair staple, spiked with chile powder and paprika.
Yield: serves 8
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 2 lb. ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chile powder
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 (28-oz.) cans whole, peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 2 (15-oz.) cans kidney beans, drained
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery, and cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Add beef, and cook, stirring, until browned, about 25 minutes. Add chile powder, tomato paste, paprika, salt, and garlic, and cook, stirring, until browned, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, for 1 hour. Add beans, and cook, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Season chili with salt and pepper.