For notes on raw beef and egg yolks and a non-French variation on steak tartare read The Raw Truth.
A forbidden pleasure to some, this classic French dish is to die for.
Yield: serves 2
- 2 egg yolks
- 2-3 Tbsp. ketchup
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 dashes Tabasco
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3-4 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. rump steak, exterior fat removed
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 small cornichons, chopped
- 2 tsp. capers, drained
- 1⁄4 bunch parsley, trimmed and chopped
- Whisk egg yolks, ketchup, mustard, worcestershire, and Tabasco in a large bowl until smooth. Gradually whisk in oil, then lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice beef into thin pieces with a very sharp knife or cleaver. Gather pieces together and slice crosswise into smaller pieces, then finely chop them and add to the bowl.
- Add onions, cornichons, capers, and half the parsley, and mix gently with 2 spoons until just combined. Adjust seasonings. Divide between 2 plates and garnish with remaining parsley. Serve with french fries, if you like.