For notes on raw beef and egg yolks and a non-French variation on steak tartare read The Raw Truth.
- 2 egg yolks
- 2-3 Tbsp. ketchup
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 dashes Tabasco
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3-4 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. rump steak, exterior fat removed
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 small cornichons, chopped
- 2 tsp. capers, drained
- 1⁄4 bunch parsley, trimmed and chopped
Whisk egg yolks, ketchup, mustard, worcestershire, and Tabasco in a large bowl until smooth. Gradually whisk in oil, then lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Slice beef into thin pieces with a very sharp knife or cleaver. Gather pieces together and slice crosswise into smaller pieces, then finely chop them and add to the bowl.
Add onions, cornichons, capers, and half the parsley, and mix gently with 2 spoons until just combined. Adjust seasonings. Divide between 2 plates and garnish with remaining parsley. Serve with french fries, if you like.