Herbs, garlic, and bread crumbs add a savory topping to tomatoes in this simple Tuscan side dish.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 3 large firm-ripe tomatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs.), halved crosswise
- 2 tbsp. dry vermouth or sherry
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 3 cups loosely packed flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. salted capers, soaked, drained, and chopped
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. dried bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Heat oven to 500˚. Using your fingers, remove the seeds from the tomatoes. Pour vermouth or sherry into an 8"x8" baking pan and place tomatoes on top, cut side facing up; season with salt. Combine parsley, capers, oregano, and garlic and sprinkle over tomatoes.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over tomatoes and drizzle with oil; bake until soft and golden brown, 10-15 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.