This crab dish comes from Tampico, a prosperous port city on the Gulf of Mexico in the Mexican state of Tamaulipas.
Yield: serves 6
- 3 ripe Hass avocados, halved and pitted
- 1 cup shredded crabmeat, picked over
- 2 leaves lettuce, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 hard-cooked egg, peeled and chopped
- Scoop out some of the avocado fl esh from each avocado half, making a slightly larger cavity than was left by the pit, into a medium bowl. Add crabmeat, lettuce, and mayonnaise and gently stir until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide crab salad between avocado halves, mounding it in each avocado cavity. Arrange avocados on a lettuce-lined serving platter, if you like. Garnish avocados with chopped eggs.