The key to finely chopping filet mignon for this classic tartare is to chill it in the freezer before slicing and mincing it.
- 8 oz. trimmed center-cut beef tenderloin
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp. salt-packed capers, soaked in water, rinsed, and drained
- 2 tbsp. minced ﬂat-leaf parsley
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 red thai chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- Fleur de sel and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Sherry vinegar, to taste
- Dijon mustard, for serving
Pairing note: The fresh, red-fruit nose and full, fat vanilla flavors of the Chateau du Chatelard Beaujolais Villages 2009 ($15) work well with this classic and vivacious dish —M.P.