Venetian Tea Sandwiches (Tramezzini)
Our favorite fillings for Venetian tea sandwiches are asparagus and eggs, tuna and olives, and arugula with cured beef. This recipe first appeared in our March 2012 issue, with Dana Bowen’s story Good and Plenty.
- 12 slices white sandwich bread
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 oz. canned tuna in olive oil, drained and flaked
- 1⁄3 cup pitted black olives, halved
- 2 tsp. capers, rinsed
- 6 asparagus spears, blanched and halved lengthwise
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, cored, sliced
- 6 oz. thinly sliced bresaola
- 2 oz. thinly shaved parmesan
- 1 cup baby arugula leaves
- Remove crusts from bread and spread 1 tbsp. mayonnaise over each slice; season with salt and pepper. Layer tuna, olives, and capers over 2 slices; layer asparagus, eggs, and tomato over 2 slices; and layer bresaola, Parmesan, and arugula over 2 slices. Top each with a slice of bread; halve sandwiches diagonally.