Created by Alabama restaurateur Bill Bayley in 1947, this delicious, easy-to-make crab salad has long been popular throughout Mobile—our version came from Wintzell’s Oyster House.
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled
- 1 lb. jumbo lump crabmeat, well picked over
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 tbsp. cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Finely chop onion. Spread half of the onions in the bottom of a medium mixing bowl. Arrange crabmeat on top of chopped onions, then cover with remaining onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour oil, vinegar, and 1⁄2 cup ice-cold water over salad. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight. Toss lightly before serving.