Menu: A Global Street Food Spread
- Aloo Samose (Indian Spiced Potato Pastries)
- Mahjouba (Algerian Crêpes)
- Satay Kambing (Lamb Satay)
- Gai Yahng (Thai Grilled Chicken with Sweet Chile Sauce)
- Zalata Amba (Chickpeas with Mango Pickle)
- Elote (Mexican Corn on the Cob)
- Funnel Cakes
- Pok Pok (Thai-Style Ice Cream Sandwich)
- Agua de Jamaica (Sweet Hibiscus Drink)
More About This Menu
- Begin the prep for this menu a day ahead of time: Soak the chickpeas, marinate the chicken, and make the samosa dough, ice cream, and crepe filling the day before. If you like, you can substitute canned chickpeas for the zalata amba and store-bought ice cream for the ice cream sandwich to further streamline preparation.
- Start the lamb satay marinating as you finish preparing the rest of the dishes—the skewers should marinate for about four hours, which will give you time to get everything else ready to go. Once they’re on the grill, they cook in minutes.
- For dessert, set out an assortment of toppings and allow guests to assemble their own ice cream sandwiches; if you’re serving the funnel cakes as well, be sure to fry them immediately before you plan to serve them—they’re best dusted with powdered sugar and eaten while still warm.
- For more recipe ideas, see our collections of Latin American and Southeast Asian street foods.