Bacon Caprese Salad
A vinaigrette made with roasted garlic and bacon adds salty, savory flavor to a classic caprese salad. We developed this recipe to show off the dressing, which comes to us from Chef Mike Bild of Everyday People Cafe in Douglas, Michigan, where he serves his bacon vinaigrette over burrata and local tomatoes.
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
- 3⁄4 lb. bacon, diced and crisped, fat reserved
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sliced shallots
- 1⁄4 cup roasted garlic
- 1 1⁄4 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
FOR THE SALAD
- 1 lb. fresh mozzarella, halved crosswise and thinly sliced
- 4 heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp. fresh marjoram leaves
- Make the vinaigrette: In a large food processor, process 1⁄2 lb. bacon, celery, honey, vinegar, shallots, garlic, lemon juice, and mustard until smooth. With the processor running, slowly add oil and the reserved bacon fat; season with salt and pepper.
- Make the salad: Combine mozzarella, tomatoes, and marjoram; season with salt and pepper and drizzle with vinaigrette. Garnish with remaining bacon.