Braised Red Cabbage
Adding a grated russet potato to this braise helps to temper the sour sweetness of the cabbage. This recipe first appeared in the tablet edition of our November 2014 issue.
Yield: serves 8-10
- 1¼ cups dry red wine
- 1¼ cups ruby port
- 1 cup honey
- ½ cups red wine vinegar
- 2 heads red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 semisweet apples, such as Fuji, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and coarsely grated
- Mix red wine, port, honey, vinegar, cabbage, apples, onion, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Transfer to a roasted pan and cover with a sheet of parchment paper; press a 9" x 13" baking dish filled with cans over the top to weigh mixture down; chill overnight.
- The next day, heat oven to 350°. Cook bacon in an 8-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high until fat is rendered, 6-8 minutes. Stir in reserved cabbage mixture with its liquid; boil. Stir in potato. Place a piece of parchment paper over surface of cabbage mixture; bake, covered, until thickened and cabbage is tender, 2-2½ hours.