Most stromboli recipes call for pizza dough, but the secret to the crispy crust on this baked roll is Italian bread dough. Our version is adapted from one served at Philadelphia’s Romano’s Pizzeria. This recipe first appeared in our May 2014 issue with the story Down Memory Lane.
For the Dough
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, heated to 115°
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 (1/4-oz.) package active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 2 1⁄2 cups bread flour, plus more
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
For the Filling
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil, plus more
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (about 12 oz.), tough stems trimmed
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 16 jarred sweet cherry peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2″ strips
- 3 oz. thinly sliced provolone
- Marinara sauce, heated, for serving (optional)
- Make the dough: Place water, sugar, and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a hook; let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add shortening, then flour and salt. Mix on low speed until dough forms; increase speed to medium-high and knead dough until smooth, 8–10 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap; let sit in a warm place until doubled in size, 1 1⁄2–2 hours.
- Make the filling: Heat oven to 350° and bring a 4-qt. saucepan of salted water to a boil. Rub chicken with 3 tbsp. oil, the oregano, half the garlic, salt, and pepper; place in a 9″ x 13″ baking dish. Bake until almost cooked or an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken reads 140°, 16–18 minutes. Let cool; cut into 1″ pieces. Add broccoli rabe to boiling water; cook until just tender, 1–2 minutes. Transfer to an ice bath and drain; roughly chop and spread onto paper towels to dry. Heat remaining oil and garlic in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Cook broccoli rabe and chile flakes until golden, 3–4 minutes.
- Assemble the stromboli: Increase oven to 425°. Place dough on a greased baking sheet; using greased fingers, press dough into a rectangle about 1⁄4” thick. Sprinkle mozzarella lengthwise down the center. Top with chicken, broccoli rabe, peppers, and provolone. Tuck short sides of dough over filling; fold long sides, overlapping, over filling. Pinch to seal and roll so seam is on the bottom. Bake until puffed and golden, about 1 hour. Let cool slightly; slice and serve with marinara, if you like.