Danny Bowien likes to serves this steamy chicken pho for breakfast. The dish is inspired by the Vietnamese soups he ate at San Francisco's Turtle Tower when he was a culinary student. The chef simmers the simple chicken broth for just a short period after bringing it to a boil because he feels that overcooking causes the flavor of the aromatics to go flat.
Find this recipe in our cookbook SAVEUR: Soups and Stews.
- One 3½ –4-lb. chicken
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ oz. Thai rock sugar or 1 tbsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. plus 1 cup fish sauce, preferably Squid brand, divided
- 2½ lb. fresh wide rice noodles or 32 oz. dried noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 4 medium scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ large white onion, thinly sliced, rinsed, and drained
- Sriracha sauce, for serving
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed and thinly sliced