Leaf and Spear
Bartender Christiaan Rollich of Los Angeles’s A.O.C. Wine Bar combines kale-infused rum with a housemade green harissa syrup, which adds sugar for balance and a hint of jalapeño for pop.
Featured in: Our Best Recipes of All Time
- Small Pot
- Fine Mesh Strainer
- Medium Bowl
- Spoon or Silicone Spatula
- Medium Jar
- Collins Glass
- Cocktail Shaker
For the green harissa syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups packed fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ cup packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 medium jalapeño, stemmed and seeded
- ½ tsp. caraway seeds
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
For the kale-infused rum
- 1 cup white rum
- 2 large Tuscan black kale leaves, plus 4 small leaves, for garnish
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- Make the green harissa syrup: To a small pot, add the sugar and ⅔ cup cold water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat, cool slightly, then transfer the syrup to a blender. Add the cilantro, parsley, jalapeño, caraway, and cumin, and blend until completely smooth. Set a fine mesh strainer over a medium bowl, then strain the mixture, pressing on the solids with the back of a spoon or silicone spatula to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the solids, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the kale-infused rum: Rinse out the blender and strainer, and set the strainer over a medium jar. To the blender, add the rum and 2 large kale leaves. Purée until smooth, then strain the liquid, pressing on the solids with the back of a spoon or silicone spatula to extract as much liquid as possible; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make each cocktail: Fill a collins glass and a cocktail shaker with ice. In the shaker, combine 2 ounces (¼ cup) of the kale-infused rum, 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) lime juice, and ¾ ounce (1 tablespoon plus 1½ teaspoons) harissa syrup. Shake vigorously, then strain into the glass and garnish with a small kale leaf. Serve immediately and repeat with the remaining cocktail ingredients.