The Little Devil
Adapted from a cocktail served at the Skylark in New York City, tequila and mezcal get a sweet-spicy accent from cherry liqueur and Ancho Reyes, a spirit made with macerated dried poblanos that adds a delicate, lingering heat.
- 2 tbsp. smoked salt
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 oz. simple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 oz. ancho chile liqueur, such as Ancho Reyes
- 1⁄2 oz. mezcal
- 1⁄2 oz. tequila
- 3⁄4 oz. cherry liqueur, such as Combier
- 3⁄4 oz. lime juice
- 1⁄4 oz. agave
- 3 brandied cherries, for garnish
- Combine salt and sugar in a food processor and pulse until fine; place in a bowl and set aside. Dip the rim of a rocks glass in simple syrup, then into salt mixture; set aside.
- Combine ancho chile liqueur, mezcal, tequila, cherry liqueur, lime juice, and agave in a cocktail shaker filled with ice; shake vigorously and strain into prepared glass filled with ice. Garnish with cherries.