Sweet, mild eggplant pairs with briny capers, floral basil, and a drizzle of balsamic reduction in this recipe inspired by a dish served at Marseille’s Le Bistrot d’Edouard. This recipe first appeared in our March 2014 issue with the story City by the Sea.
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 small eggplant (about 8 oz. each), trimmed and sliced 1/3″-thick crosswise
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. capers
- 4 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Simmer vinegar over medium heat in a 1-qt. saucepan until reduced to a thick syrup, about 15 minutes.
- Heat half the oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches and adding more oil as needed, fry eggplant, flipping once, until golden-brown, 5–7 minutes; transfer to paper towels to drain and season with salt and pepper. Arrange on a platter; drizzle with balsamic; garnish with capers and basil.