Pan-Fried Sole with Red Quinoa and Vegetables
Filets of sole are set atop red quinoa, roasted tomatoes, and tender-crisp vegetables in this dish from a Marseille bistrot.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup red quinoa
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and quartered
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb. green beans, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced crosswise
- 5 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 (6-oz.) filets skinless sole, orange roughy, or haddock, pin bones removed
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. minced chives
- Bring stock to a boil in a 1-qt. saucepan. Stir in quinoa, salt, and pepper; reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat; let sit 5 minutes; Uncover and fluff with a fork; keep warm.
- Heat oven to 450°. Toss tomatoes with 3 tbsp. oil, salt, and pepper on a baking sheet. Bake until browned, 12–15 minutes.
- Cook beans and zucchini in a 4-qt. saucepan of salted water until crisp-tender, 1–2 minutes. Drain and toss with tomatoes; keep warm.
- Heat remaining oil and 1 tbsp. butter in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Season fish with salt and pepper; cook, flipping once, until golden and cooked, 3–4 minutes. To serve, divide quinoa, vegetables, and fish between 4 plates. Melt remaining butter in skillet over medium heat until foamy, 1–2 minutes. Stir in juice, salt, and pepper; spoon sauce over fish and garnish with chives.