Pecan Cheese Wafers
Pecan Cheese Wafer
The recipe for these crisp, spicy crackers is adapted from The Lee Bros. Charleston Kitchen (Clarkson Potter, 2013).
Yield: makes About 2 1/2 Dozen
- 6 tbsp. flour, plus more for dusting
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 2 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves
- Pulse flour, salt, and chile flakes in a food processor until combined. Add cheese, butter, and cream; pulse until dough just holds together, about 10 seconds. Form dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap; chill 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 325°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 10″ x 12″ rectangle about 1⁄8” thick. Using a 2″ round cutter, cut out disks. Using a spatula, transfer disks to parchment paper-lined baking sheets; gather and reuse scraps. Lightly brush bottoms of pecan halves with egg white and press into tops of wafers. Bake until firm and crisp, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.