Portuguese home cook Conceição Louro of Estremoz infuses tomatoes with smoky bacon and sausage in this rich tomato soup served with poached eggs, which first appeared in our November 2013 issue with Jean Anderson's story The Food I Dream Of.
- 1⁄2 thick-cut bacon (about 4 slices), cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1⁄4 lb. cured Portuguese chouriço sausage, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise 1/4" thick
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (28-oz.) cans whole peeled tomatoes, seeded and crushed by hand
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 eggs
- 6 (1/2"-thick) slices Portuguese pão, or rustic country bread, lightly toasted