Classic frozen yogurt gets a boost from floral persimmon and toasted spices. This recipe first appeared in our March 2014 issue with the story Milk's Finest Hour.
- 6 whole black peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 4 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon, broken in half
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups plain full-fat yogurt
- 1 cup Hachiya persimmon pulp
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Heat peppercorns, cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat until fragrant, 4–5 minutes. Add sugar, nutmeg, and ¼ cup water; boil. Cook until sugar is dissolved, 1–2 minutes; let cool, strain, and transfer to a bowl. Whisk in yogurt, pulp, milk, and vanilla. Pour mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's instructions until yogurt is churned and thick. Transfer to an airtight storage container; freeze until set, at least 4 hours.