The key to these sweetbreads is an aggressive char—you want the outside to get super crispy.
Sweetbreads with Chimichurri Criollo
Piquant chimichurri sauce adds lift to rich, crispy char-grilled sweetbreads.
Yield: serves 4-6
Time: 1 hour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup minced oregano
- 6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lb. sweetbreads, cleaned
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice, plus wedges
- Dissolve 1 tsp. salt in warm water in a bowl. Stir in minced oregano, 4 tbsp. oil, the vinegar, dried oregano, chile flakes, and garlic; set chimichurri aside. Heat remaining oil in a 12″ cast-iron skillet over medium; season sweetbreads with salt and cook, flipping once, until slightly charred and cooked through, 25–30 minutes; drizzle with lemon juice. Serve with reserved chimichurri and the lemon wedges.