Umbrian Snowflake Cookies (Biscotti ai Cereali)
Cornflakes—both mixed into the batter and coating the cookies’ exterior—give these crumbly chocolate chip treats a pleasant crunch and a nutty flavor. Served at festivals, wineries, and charity bake sales, they’re a favorite of the residents of the Umbrian hill town of Montefalco.
Find this recipe in our cookbook, SAVEUR: Italian Comfort Food
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 10 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 6 cups cornflakes cereal (2 cups lightly crushed, 4 cups whole)
- 3⁄4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Confectioners’ sugar, for garnish
- Heat oven to 350°. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl and using an electric hand mixer, cream granulated sugar and butter until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add dry ingredients; mix until dough forms. Fold in crushed cornflakes and the chocolate chips. Divide dough into 28 balls; roll in whole cornflakes. Space 1″ apart on parchment paper—lined baking sheets. Bake until golden and crisp, 20–22 minutes. Let cookies cool; dust with confectioners’ sugar.