With its turniplike flavor, this member of the cabbage family takes well to a slow simmer on the stove with chicken stock, butter, and thyme. Serve this dish with roast chicken or grilled pork chops.
- 2 lb. kohlrabi, trimmed but unpeeled and cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Put kohlrabi, chicken stock, 2 tbsp. butter, and thyme into a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper and cover with a parchment-paper circle cut to fit inside rim of skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until kohlrabi is tender, about 15 minutes. Uncover, remove pan from heat, and add the remaining butter, swirling skillet until butter melts. Serve warm.