Simple shredded cabbage is transformed into a fragrant side dish with the addition of cilantro, lime, and an array of spices including turmeric and cumin. It’s crucial to salt the cabbage before cooking in order to extract some of its moisture.
- 1 green cabbage, cored and shredded
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp. peanut oil
- 2 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 2 tsp. asafetida
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 Italian frying peppers, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 serrano chile, thinly sliced
- 5 tbsp. roughly chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- Toss cabbage and salt in a bowl. Let wilt for 1 hour. Squeeze excess liquid from cabbage; set aside.
- Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds, asafetida, cumin, and curry leaves; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add reserved cabbage, turmeric, tomatoes, peppers, and serrano; cook, stirring, until cabbage is crisp-tender, 6–7 minutes. Stir in cilantro, lime juice, and sugar. Season with salt; cook until flavors meld, 3–5 minutes.