Literally “tiger’s milk,” this bright and spicy citrus-based marinade is used to cure the fish in classic Peruvian ceviche. This leche de tigre recipe makes a sizable batch; leftovers can be frozen for up to a month to be repurposed in more ceviche, marinades, or even in savory drinks, like our Hair of the Tiger cocktail.
Featured in "The Secrets of Lima's Cutting Edge Ceviche."
- 2 cups fresh lime juice
- 5 oz. firm white fish such as fluke, seabass, flounder, or sole
- 1 cup fish stock
- ½ large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. finely grated fresh peeled ginger
- 2 tsp. finely chopped cilantro stems
- 1 tsp. ají limo paste
- 2½ tsp. kosher salt