This tangy lemon curd from Milk Bar pastry chef and co-owner Christina Tosi is excellent spread on biscuits or folded into whipped cream. It’s also an essential component in Tosi’s towering Strawberry Lemon Layer Cake.
- 6 tbsp. sugar
- 5 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Finely grated zest from 2 lemons
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1⁄4 tsp. unflavored powdered gelatin
- 6 tbsp. chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- In a blender, blend the sugar with the lemon juice and zest until the sugar dissolves, 30 seconds. Add the eggs and blend on low speed until smooth and foamy, 15 seconds. Scrape the curd into a small saucepan and clean the blender.
- Heat the curd over low, and cook, stirring, until thickened and it comes to a low boil, about 8 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir the gelatin with 2 tablespoons cold water and let stand for 5 minutes to soften the gelatin. Pour the lemon curd into the cleaned blender along with the softened gelatin, butter, and salt, and puree until smooth.
- Scrape the curd through a fine sieve into a bowl and refrigerate until the curd is completely chilled, at least 1 hour. Refrigerate for up to 1 week.